Monday, March 24, 2008

Being a Grandmother

Having my own children has been a wonderful experience (at times). Witnessing the birth of my grandson, Noah Gabriel Patterson has been an experience I will never forget and one of the most precious and sacred things I will ever be a part of.

First, let me say that my grandson is beautiful! I know, I know people always say that about their own. But Noah's face is perfect, his eyes are beautiful and he is developing a little personality already.

Second, which probably should be first...mother is doing wonderful. She has impressed me and I am still in awe of her. She was in labor for 36 long, grueling, painful (very painful at times) hours before finally asking her doctor to perform a c-section. She didn't take her epidural until she was dialated to 7 and absolutely couldn't take the pain any longer.

It was difficult initially to watch my daughter in so much pain, but I knew that it was a labor of love. I know how much she loved Noah and wanted what was best for him. The nurses kept telling her she could have the epidural at any time and that she didn't have to worry about giving in to the pain, but Haley held out because she is like that...strong and wanting to experience her labor.

Benjamin was amazing! He was by Haley's side the entire time except when they gave her the epidural. He whispered encouragement in her ear and supported every decision she made. There was a special moment between Benjamin and myself when they were giving Haley the epidural. We were in the waiting room and I was on the computer. I looked to tell Benjamin something and I saw his head bowed in prayer. When he finished he looked up at me and he was crying. He wiped his eyes and shared his feelings of love for my daughter, feelings he said he never thought he could feel. He talked about how amazing she was and how undeserving he felt of her love. I told him that they were both deserving of each other and how happy he has made my daughter. I know they were meant to be together and to share a union of their love with their son is a result of obeying God's laws. They are truly blessed.

When I finally went home after all was well with Haley and Noah, I could rejoice to myself and thank my Heavenly Father for all that he has done for my posterity. Our family has been blessed beyond measure. When I look at my daughter, I still see my little girl, but I know that she is a woman, grown up, married and with a beautiful child of her own. She will be a wonderful mother I know she will. She and Benjamin will be great parents and pass down to Noah all of the things he will need to know to be a loving and kind individual.

I am so happy this day! I can't wait to go back to the hospital today to see my family...especially Noah:)!

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Tiffany W. said...

this made me cry. It sounds like you are all very blessed! Please tell Ben and Haley we are so happy for them and excited for this new step in their lives!!

XOXO